Through the Lens of Fred Lyon


Yesterday I attended the San Francisco Fall Antiques Show, just to visit the Peter Fetterman exhibit. Fetterman represents 19th and 20th century photography, specializing in black and white photography with an emphasis on humanist imagery.

There was one photographer whose work I wanted to see. That's the legendary Fred Lyon.


Parking on the steep hill just below the Mark Hopkins hotel.

If you haven't heard of Fred, he has been called the "San Francisco's Brassai".  

Mr. Lyon is a 4th generation San Franciscan and is primarily a San Franciscan photographer. He is  known for capturing the ethereal feel of the city and its people though his amazing photography. Most of his work is from the 40s-60s.


I own two of his books, but have been wanting to purchase one of his prints for a long time now.


Fred is dapper at the age of 90, and guess who had the chance to meet him? Yes, he was at the exhibit, and yours truly interrupted the tail end of his lunch to compliment him and ask him to autograph two of my books. He was as charming and humble as ever. I was so thrilled!

San Francisco, Flowerstand, I Magnin, Union Square 1958


Chinatown


I just adore how his images that capture the fog in San Francisco. Very ethereal. This image (above) is actually very close to my neighborhood.


Coit Tower (above)

San Francisco Post and Powell Street, Union Square 1947 


Sunset Grid 1959


This grid of houses in San Francisco's Sunset District is where I was born. Thinking of possibly purchasing this one. Just can't decide!


Huntington Hotel 1958


Ocean Beach

Foggy Night in San Francisco's Nob Hill, Entrance to the Fairmont Hotel ,circa 1950's


Cotillion in Palace Hotel, Palm Court, 1958


Kearny Street, 1952


If you want to check out Mr. Lyon's works, visit the Peter Fetterman gallery.

 There are also some wonderful books available, the most recent, San Francisco, Portrait of a City: 1940-1960


or my other favorite, 




There will also be another Fred Lyon exhibit in San Francisco from November 8 - January 10th at the  Harvey Milk Photo Center. I'm planning on going and possibly purchasing some of Fred's art!

Comments

Popular Posts